The Non-Crafty Girl's Guide to Removing Embroidery

4/16/16







I am probably one of the least crafty people I know. I try... heaven knows I try. I pin all the things. I have great intentions. I just don't make the cut. I own a sewing machine and figured out how to sew squares to make pillows. I probably made 20 of those things just because it is the only thing I could figure out. 

I wanted a Beaufort Bonnet for my baby girl SO badly. They are just way too cute! Unfortunately their regular price tag was no where near my budget, and definitely not something I could hide from my husband. Ha! I was scouring different Facebook buy/sell/trade groups for a used one, and this one came up for only $15 shipped! The only problem? It had a monogram, and it definitely wasn't Kate's! But, I was determined to make this work.

I started looking up different methods of removal... lots included buying a fancy tool to help remove the threads, but then I stumbled on a method that looked easy enough. All you need? A disposable razor and a baseball.

To begin, I turned the bonnet inside out. I wrapped the embroidery over the baseball and I started gently shaving the embroidery on the inside. I turned the bonnet back over and would scratch it with my nails and the threads came right up! It was WAY easier than I expected! Supposedly after you wash it the fibers will fluff back up and make that old monogram hard to see. I am so happy with the outcome and that money saved! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs